An abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) is a weakening and expansion of the aorta, the main blood vessel in the body.
There is a new NHS programme to screen men for AAA.
The key facts are:
- Men aged 65 and over are eligible for AAA screening
- The NHS invites men for AAA screening during the year
they turn 65
- Men over 65 who have not been screened previously can arrange a screening appointment by contacting their local programme directly
- Screening involves an ultrasound scan that takes around 10 minutes
- The NHS AAA Screening Programme aims to reduce deaths from ruptured AAA amongst men aged 65 and over by up to 50%
More information can be found at http://aaa.screening.nhs.uk/