What to do when the Surgery is closed


Call 111 for when it is less urgent than 999

In a genuine emergency you should call 999. Chest pains and / or shortness of breath constitute an emergency.  

Type Text Talk for Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing People

The 111 service is also available via typetalk on number 18001 111


When do I use it?

People should use the NHS 111 service if they need help or advice urgently but it’s not a life-threatening situation. You should call 111 if:

  • it’s not a 999 emergency;
  • you don’t think it can wait for an appointment with your GP; or
  • you don’t know who to call for medical help.


For less urgent health needs, you should still contact your GP or dentist in the usual way, and for immediate, life-threatening, emergencies please continue to call 999.


 What if I have already been given a number to call for a condition I have?

If you are already receiving healthcare and a health professional has given you a specific telephone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, please continue to use that number.


What if I live outside Oxfordshire?

The NHS 111 service is not available everywhere in the UK. If you are outside of

Oxfordshire, please contact NHS Direct on 0845 4647.


Information in another language?

To download NHS 111 information in a different language please visit NHS Choices website - http://bit.ly/JIAzHX


If for any reason, you aren't able to get connected to NHS 111 then call 0845 3458995

Minor Injuries

There is a Minor Injuries Unit based at the Witney Community Hospital. This is a "drop-in" facility for minor injuries such as burns, bites, cuts, knocks and sprains and is open daily between 10:00 - 22:00.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website